Education Building, University of Birmingham
Client Name: University of Birmingham
Role: Cost Manager
As part of the overall improvement works to this iconic building situated in the north-east of the University of Birmingham Main Campus, the following works were carried out last summer included:-
- The complete remodelling of ground floor and mezzanine which housed the former library in-order to create a new modern café and breakout areas on the ground floor.
- The breakout out areas includes group discussion pods, banquet seating and loose tables and chairs. Feature lighting was incorporated into the design to set the right mood and ambience.
- Offices were created on the mezzanine floor with glazed screens and bespoke desks.
- A new boardroom with AV facilities was also formed and is suitable for meetings for up to 16 people.
- A number of classrooms were refurbished, which included a new floor, wall and ceiling finishes, new blinds, lighting and AV installations.
- The building envelope of the building was fully decorated, and the windows to the former library area will be replaced with new Crittall double glazed units with opening lights in order to achieve the correct thermal properties.
A further phase will be carried out next year, which will include the refurbishment of the existing lab rooms.