Centre for Human Brain Health, University of Birmingham
Client Name: University of Birmingham
Role: Cost Manager
The development of the Centre for Human Brain Health is a new state of the art facility for the University of Birmingham School of Psychology.
The facility is set over two and a half storeys with a total GIFA of circa 19,400 ft². The building is located on the periphery of the main university campus to the rear of 52 Pritchatts Road and includes a new link bridge to the adjacent Gisbert Kapp building.
The CfHBH houses two state of the art scanners (MEG and MRI scanners). It also provides for a mixture of academic offices, teaching spaces, training rooms, scanner room complete with a mock scanner and consulting rooms together with all other amenities including WC’s, showers, full kitchen facilities and tea points on each floor.
The construction works generally comprised of:
- Substructures which incorporated specialist pits for the scanners
- Concrete frame with specialist nonferrous reinforcement adjacent to the scanner locations
- Façades comprising feature brickwork, cladding, and curtain walling
- Roof terrace with a screened area to house plant
- Specialist consulting and treatment rooms, offices and reception areas
- Mechanical ventilation and heating systems with comfort cooling